Let’s Clean Up Our Home!
Our home, Africa, is bearing a disproportionate burden of the global plastics crisis. For many African countries, plastic pollution is causing environmental devastation along with substantial human rights and child labour violations, specifically for those living and working in low-income settlements with no access to or poor waste management services.
The convenience of single use plastics in our day to day lives has led to one of the greatest global environmental challenges. Oceans are being used as a dumping ground, city storm drains are clogged with waste exacerbating floods and spreading disease, and when consumed by livestock or fish, plastic also makes its way into the food chain that leads to our plates.
For our sake and the sake of future generations, we need to think globally and act locally to #EndPlasticPollution by cleaning up Africa, our home!
Join us from 1 December 2020 to 30 January 2021 as we take action through community clean up events – for our Africa, for our future.
Here is how you can take action!
- ORGANISE A CLEAN-UP IN YOUR COMMUNITY!
Identify a community, school, or place of worship near you that is in need of a clean-up and then, follow these easy steps on how to organise your very own community clean-up.
- CONDUCT A PLASTIC WASTE AUDIT
As you sort out the waste from the community clean-up, use this easy audit sheet to conduct a waste audit, thereafter, send this sheet to ACRP’s Campaign Coordinator Yasmine for capturing. Participating in this waste audit will empower you to gain a deeper understanding of the waste challenges faced in your community, and what actions to take to address these challenges. Furthermore, we will consolidate all the waste audits into a report, which individuals or communities can use as an advocacy tool to hold authorities and corporations accountable for the plastic pollution found in their communities. Lastly, upon completion of the cleanup and audit, you will stand a chance to win a climate-friendly gift.
- SHARE YOUR ACTION
- Take photos of you in action during your community clean up event
- Get ready to upload the photo to social media! Use a caption that explains that your event is part of African Climate Reality Project’s #BeatPlasticPollition Lets Clean Up Our Home initiative. See our social media handles below to tag us!
- Submit your photo either by tagging us on social media, or by sending it directly to ACRP’s Communications Officer Nicole.
If you are a trained Climate Reality Leader, remember to log your clean up action Act of Leadership under ‘Organize an Event’!
SOCIAL MEDIA CONTENT
Tag us in your posts so we can share them:
- Facebook: @ClimateRealityAfrica
- Twitter: @AfricaCRP
- Instagram: @africanclimatereality
- SIGN THE PETITION
And lastly, sign our petition to call on Coca-Cola to drastically reduce the production and sale of single-use plastic in efforts to #BeatPlasticPollution for good!
Once you have signed the petition, help us spread the word! Use the sample social media posts and graphics below and upload them on your social media platforms:
- Coca-Cola is currently the biggest single-use plastic polluter in Africa – and the world. Join me in calling on them to raise their ambition & invest in sustainable alternatives! Take action now 👉 https://bit.ly/ActAgainstPlastic #BeatPlasticPollution
- In our throw-away culture, plastic packaging makes up nearly 50% of global plastic waste – and often it’s discarded within minutes of its first & only use. Join me in calling on #CocaCola to raise their ambitions for a #WorldWithoutWaste https://bit.ly/ActAgainstPlastic #BeatPlasticPollution
- Plastic pollution causes environmental devastation & substantial human rights and child labour violations. #CocaCola must do more to be the solution and not the pollution! Call on them to increase their ambition here 👉 https://bit.ly/ActAgainstPlastic #LeadOnClimate
- Africa is leading the fight against plastic pollution, but #CocaCola is holding us back – while also aggravating existing socio-economic challenges we face. They can (and must) do better for a #WorldWithoutWaste. Take action now 👉 https://bit.ly/ActAgainstPlastic #BeatPlasticPollution
- #CocaCola must take action to end their plastic pollution, while also providing meaningful support to waste pickers and traders who shoulder the burden of cleaning up the company’s mess. Add your voice to this call to action here 👉 https://bit.ly/ActAgainstPlastic #BeatPlasticPollution
- The planet’s biggest plastic polluter #CocaCola is falling short on their commitment to a #WorldWithoutWaste, and causing a regression in Africa’s sustainable development – call on them to step up their ambition here 👉 https://bit.ly/ActAgainstPlastic #LeadOnClimate
Be sure to tag Coca-Cola in your posts:
- Facebook: @TheCocaColaCo
- Twitter: @CocaColaCo
- Instagram: @cocacola
SOCIAL MEDIA GRAPHICS
Download these free social media graphics for Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Here’s a quick look at some of the graphics you will find: